I’ve spoken before about this phenomenon of the quarter life crisis and as I approach 25 I think I am guilty of sometimes focusing on what I haven’t achieved in life rather than on the things that I have learnt.
This post forced me to be fairly introspective and focus on the things that are most important to me.
Maybe you agree with some or none but through the different stages of my life so far I have come to the conclusion that these 25 things are worth my time and energy.
1. Work for it. Nothing in life is given to you, hard work should be never underestimated!
2. Dream big. Dreaming makes you set goals and keeps you wanting more from life.
3. Enjoy your work. Whatever it is that you do find the positives. You spend too much time there to be unhappy and the negativity will follow you home.
4. It’s ok to stay home on Saturday nights and watch Friends reruns if that’s what makes you happy!
5. Travel is expensive. It’s also worth it.
6. Always work towards something. Goals give you the motivation to achieve, without them we become stagnant.
7. Don’t be afraid of colour. It takes the boring out of everything.
8. Maxi dresses are appropriate for all occasions.
9. Do not take anything for granted. When I was younger I thought certain things in life where guaranteed. This is not the case. You have to appreciate what you have and work for what you want.
10. Read often. Whatever the medium indulge your mind and get lost in the words.
11. Maybe don’t say everything I think out loud. Choose your time and place well before expressing some honest opinions.
12. Furthering your education is scary but teaches you so much more than what is on the page. Doing my Bachelor degree via distance education challenged me in every sense of the word, and after two years away I am back having a go at some postgraduate classes!
13. Eating healthy determines not only how tight your pants feel but also your mood, your skin and just your overall feeling of wellness. It may be annoying at times but the benefits are defiantly worth it.
14. True friends care about you, not just what you do. It’s about quality of friends not quantity.
15. Every dollar counts. Save whatever you can.
16. Life is delicious. There is always time for good food and good wine, and don’t forget to try something new. There is nothing worse than being stuck in a food rut!
17. You can survive without cheese! My lactose allergy forced me to search for alternatives and get more creative with recipes.
18. Money is better spent on experiences rather than on material things. My value lies in what I’ve done not what I have.
19. If given the opportunity always see music live. It was an experience I always felt I missed out on living in the country so I have defiantly made up for it now!
20. Don’t be afraid to get a little creative, whatever the situation.
21. Move on. As much as I wish you could sometimes, you can’t change things that have happened. Just try to learn from it and use it to make you stronger.
22. Get outside and back to nature. I love to go for a walk in one of the many national parks we have around Brisbane. It can provide a perfect platform for mental clarity and a strong sense of accomplishment.
23. Be reliable. Show up on time and follow through with your plans.
24. Life is challenging. It’s how you respond to these challenges and use them to make you stronger that defines us.
25. Embrace change. It gives us everything from new opportunities to reminding us of our values.