10 In Wedding

5 Tips You Should Read Before Buying a Wedding Dress Online

wedding dress 5Wedding dress shopping! It’s enough to strike fear into even the most rational person. The cost alone is frightening, not to mention that I was overwhelmed by learning new information such as when it comes to wedding dresses white comes in a thousand shades!

I’m not going to lie, there was definitely a moment in which I was standing in front of a mirror at a bridal boutique in the city actually trying to rationalise in my head the $3000 price tag. I am actually glad I walked away that day as whilst I loved that dress, that money was definitely better spent on our honeymoon!

wedding dress 4wedding dress 2Before buying your dress online you must first know what you are looking for. Research – find styles you like, if you walk into a boutique without an idea in your head it can be very overwhelming as to where to start. Try on different styles, what you originally liked may not look the best. At every store I always tried on something completely different to what I had imagined…just in case! Once you have found a style you like and know looks good it’s ready to look online. This can be a very overwhelming task in itself but if you follow these tips you will feel a lot more confident in pressing buy.

wedding dress 11. If it seems ridiculously cheap, it’s either a scam or really awful. I paid $250, this is around the price you should expect to pay, don’t even bother if they are claiming to make you a fully lined, multi-layer gown for under $100.
2. Read reviews. If there is one thing brides are good at it is sharing their experiences, especially if they are negative! You want to find a high percentage of brides who are super satisfied with their purchases and who are willing to post photos of the actual dresses they receive. Often the sale website will post the designer dress picture that they make copies of – you want to see actual dresses they make.
3. Communicate. Make sure they are a legitimate company by having some form of communication. I asked many questions including if I could get them to make alterations to the dresses and I always received a fast reply. I also purchased fabric samples first; this also eliminated any colour shock that could be caused by photos and different screens.
4. Double check the sizing, I was able to send through custom measurements so the dress came perfectly in my size. That was an extra $100-200 I saved not having any alterations done. I also opted for a lace up back so I had the ability to tighten or loosen if sizing was not quite right, this also allowed for any weight fluctuations leading up to the day.
5. Buy early, just in case!

wedding dress 3So which site passed my test and impressed me the most? Dressilyme I’m not sure that I could have got any more complements on my dress if I had paid the 3k.  Have you purchased a dress online? Share your experience!

Photography by Ray Williams.

You Might Also Like

10 Comments

OurParallelConnection
    June 1, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Great post.. My sister bought her second wedding dress online and had it shipped to Bali where she married. Thankfully it was ok.. just needed a little altering. It was a risk though.

sallyslifestylejournal
      June 1, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Thanks 🙂 It is a very nervous wait from pressing buy to receiving! Very glad it worked out ok for her!

aliciaonemotherhen
    June 2, 2015 at 10:25 pm

I actually walked in to a local store and tried on a few dresses. White wasn’t for me. I instantly knew though when I had tried on the right dress. I would be so nervous ordering online.

sallyslifestylejournal
      June 4, 2015 at 6:42 am

Everyone is so unique in their style, you really don’t know what is going to work until you try it on!

Kirsty @ My Home Truths
    June 3, 2015 at 12:58 pm

It’s my 15th wedding anniversary this year so I had to buy my gown the old fashioned way by traipsing around and trying them on. I probably would still do that as I’m not a big online shopper anyway. I’m pleased it worked out for you and there are some great tips there for future brides to be. Thanks for linking up!!!

sallyslifestylejournal
      June 4, 2015 at 6:45 am

Thanks Kirsty! Congrats on 15years! Online shopping for my wedding really did help me avoid the wedding budget blow-out and I would definitely recommend it for future brides looking to save money 🙂

jess
    June 4, 2015 at 1:46 am

I bought my dress online! But it wasn’t really a ‘wedding’ dress, more of a formal one. But it only needed a little altering thank goodness. Definitely allow plenty of time for alterations, they always take longer than you think!

sallyslifestylejournal
      June 4, 2015 at 6:49 am

That’s great! Alterations can sneak up on you with both time and cost so definitely something to remember in the planning phase! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Karin @ Calm to Conniption
    June 4, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Your dress was beautiful. Good on you for buying online. My girlfriend has just done the same and is waiting to see her dress. Everything is crossed. Great tips.

Lynnette
    June 16, 2015 at 9:49 pm

I am a big fan of online shopping and I very nearly went down the route of buying one online but last Sunday after a disastrous Saturday when I was convinced by friends to just try all styles in all budget ranges (massively confusing because you do find yourself trying to justify a $3500 or above dress!) I found my dream dress and it was a perfect fit and length. Luckily I have a future sister in law who sews so alterations weren’t a concern. The dress was on sale, marked down nearly 70% off. So I walked away with a dress I loved that was well within my $1500 budget. Loved your tips! I will definitely be passing this on to my future bride friends. X