As I have been reading more lately as I make my way through a reading challenge I thought it would be appropriate to share some of what I love so much about books. Below I have gathered a few of my favourite lines from literature. Some you will be very familiar with, others are a little different but all of them resonate in some way with me personally.
I have spoken previously about the power of literature, it is the reason we choose to get lost amongst the pages and it inspires us to examine life through different eyes. This at least is why I choose to spend my time immersed in a world where only words have the opportunity to evoke feeling and emotion and transport you to another place.
So here we go, a list compiled by me of what I believe (at this current moment) to be the 11 greatest book quotes of all time!
- “I like myself better when I’m with you.” – Mitch Albom, Tuesdays With Morrie
2. “As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” – John Green, The Fault In Our Stars
3. “It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.” – Jane Austen, Pride And Prejudice
4. “Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship Of The Ring
5. “It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.” – J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter And The Goblet of Fire
6. “All endings are also beginnings. We just don’t know it at the time.” – Mitch Albom, The Five People You Meet In Heaven
7. “My advice is, never do tomorrow what you can do today. Procrastination is the thief of time.” – Charles Dickens, David Copperfield
8. “If only we could see the endless string of consequences that result from our smallest actions. But we can’t know better until knowing better is useless.” – John Green, Looking For Alaska
9. “To live will be an awfully big adventure.” – J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
10. “In his blue gardens men and girls came and went like moths among the whisperings and the champagne and the stars.” – Scott F. Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
11. “He stepped down, trying not to look long at her, as if she were the sun, yet he saw her, like the sun, even without looking.” – Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
What is your favourite book quote? Let me know in the comments!