This flavour combination is too good to keep to myself. I love fresh berries, and inspired by the cheaper prices of raspberries in the supermarket at the moment, I decided it was time to get baking, combining them with the tropical flavours of coconut and lime to really make these muffins taste like summer.
Muffins to me should not be too sweet. If I want something really sweet, I’d rather just have a cupcake thanks. I also like my muffins loaded with fruity flavour, with a beautiful soft crumb texture.
Previously, my go to muffin has been these dairy-free blueberry muffins, but today’s raspberry, coconut & lime ones just might be my new favourites! I mean, anything with lime is an instant winner for me.
These muffins are so beautifully soft and fluffy. I blame the coconut milk. Make sure you use the full fat stuff from the tin for the creamiest results. This will ensure you achieve optimum just one more flavour level.
I ate 2 of these while taking the photos. The first was straight out of the oven because fresh hot muffin is ridic tasty. Then I couldn’t even get through the photo shoot without eating my second – that’s the level of good we want. They are I can’t not eat this right now good.
A few more reasons to make these (as if you need them, but I like to be thorough).
- Coconut oil = dairy-free baked goods that don’t even miss butter.
- The recipe makes 13, so you can totally sneak eat one fresh from the oven and no one will ever know as you will still have a full pan.
- Lime. I know I’ve already said that, but this zesty little fruit really makes these muffins next level.
- They are so easy and quick to make with no fancy mixer just a couple of bowls, a whisk and a spatula. That’s my kind of baking.
- They freeze really well so you can keep a handy snack stash ready for when you need it. Just wrap muffins in plastic and store in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Let them come to room temperature to thaw and it’s just like a fresh one.
Oh and if summer is over and you still want this taste explosion happening, frozen raspberries will do just fine.
Ready to get baking? I thought so.
Fresh raspberries combined with the tropical flavours of lime and coconut make these beautifully soft, dairy-free muffins taste like summer. Perfect for a YUM snack on the run, or slowly enjoyed with a cup of tea.
- 2 cups (265 grams) self raising flour
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup coconut milk
- juice of 1 small lime
- zest of 1 small lime
- 125 grams raspberries
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a 12 cup muffin pan with patty cases, and a second pan with 1, as this recipe yields 13 muffins.
- In a large bowl, sift self raising flour, and sugar together. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, using a whisk mix together egg, coconut oil, coconut milk, lime juice and lime zest.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture. Using a spatula, stir until batter is just combined, being careful not to overmix - a few lumps are ok. Add in the raspberries and gently fold through the mixture.
- Spoon mixture into lined muffin pan ⅔ full and bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden on top and springy when gently touched.
TIP! For best results bake the single muffin on its own after the main tray has completed cooking, as baked goods are always best when cooked on the middle shelf without having to complete with anything else in the oven.