Sometimes you just want to make a batch of classic chocolate brownies. I love simple recipes and for years I have relied on my Quick & Easy Chocolate Brownie recipe. This super easy recipe has got me through many chocolate cravings and I still love that it uses ingredients that I would usually have sitting in my pantry.
I originally went to my kitchen to make a batch of these over the weekend when I remembered I had a packet of dairy-free chocolate chips that I had purchased last time I was at the supermarket for no specific purpose. I decided that instead of my basic brownies, I would try and jazz them up to be more like the traditional rich, fudgey, decadent chocolate brownies that everyone loves.
I started with my standard chocolate brownie recipe and made a few changes in order to get a fudgier, more decadent result. I always use Nuttelex Lite in place of butter in my baking to make it dairy-free, and for this recipe I melted it first as using melted butter in baking creates a ‘chewier’, softer texture. I also switched the white sugar for brown and reduced the quantity due to the stronger, caramel flavour. Then for the fun bit, I added in dairy-free chocolate chips and chopped walnuts for some crunch.
Now there are literally thousands of chocolate brownie recipes on the internet so what makes these so good? Firstly, I love that this recipe makes just 9 brownies. It is perfect when I don’t want heaps of leftovers and just want to enjoy a decadent dessert. The small serve also means quicker cooking time with these brownies only needing 15 minutes in the oven!
The other reason I love this recipe is that everything can be made in one bowl and you only need a hand whisk, no electric beaters required. You can easily go from wanting a home-made chocolate brownie to enjoying one within half an hour. Also, they are so rich and chocolatey that I actually forgot they were completely dairy-free!
These chocolate brownies are so quick to make and with minimal time spent in the kitchen and less utensils to wash up after, I say they are the perfect treat for anytime!
- ½ cup Nuttelex Lite*, melted
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup plain flour
- ¼ cup dairy-free chocolate chips**
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius and line a 20cm square baking pan with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, add melted Nuttelex Lite, vanilla and eggs and whisk until everything is combined.
- Whisk in brown sugar.
- Sift cocoa powder and flour and combine with wet ingredients. Using a spatula to scrape down the sides, mix until completely combined. The mixture should be quite thick.
- Fold through dairy-free chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.
- Spoon mixture into baking pan ensuring it is spread evenly.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes. The brownies are done when a skewer inserted into them comes out almost clean, you want them to still be a bit soft in the middle.
- Let cool on a wire rack and then cut evenly into squares.
**I use Sweet William baking choc chips which are available at the supermarket.
Save it for later: