A perfectly simple pear and prosciutto salad made with walnuts, baby spinach and rocket, served on char-grilled bread with a sweet and tangy dressing. This is the kind of salad that is impressive enough to serve to guests as a side dish or can be eaten as a main meal, easily thrown together on a weeknight.
I have a little confession to make. I am not really a salad person. So why you may ask am I posting a salad recipe today? Well that is because this is no ordinary salad. This is the salad that made me crave salads and to openly declare my love.
I originally shared this recipe back in January of 2017. That was in a time when I wanted to start sharing all of the delicious food that I was enjoying but I had zero idea about how to write about a recipe, and even less about how to photograph it.
This recipe deserved more than that, so today you have a completely revamped post ready to remind you that you really need this salad in your life. Now that the weather is starting to warm up, it’s time to build up a repertoire of reliable, easy, and super tasty salads. This one ticks all those boxes.
Let’s take a look at the ingredients in this pear and prosciutto salad.
- Pear – adds a beautiful crispness to the salad and the sweet and tart flavours are complemented perfectly.
- Prosciutto – salty, delicious, everything. We are using a very generous 50grams per person.
- Walnuts – salads need texture and that is where the walnuts come in. You can toast them if you want, but often I just leave them raw.
- Baby spinach and rocket – I like the combination of both, but you can choose to just use one or the other. The rocket in particular has a peppery flavour that loves the salty prosciutto and the sweet dressing.
- Bread – this salad sits on a sturdy foundation of a char-grilled slice of bread. The flavour from the char goes through the salad and gives it that little extra while the bread itself makes it feel a little less like a salad and more like an open sandwich.
- Dressing – a little olive oil, red wine vinegar and honey come together to tie together all the flavours and bring this salad to life.
How to make this pear and prosciutto salad
This is one of the easiest recipes on my blog. It’s the kind that you throw everything into a bowl and mix together. The only speciality equipment that I would recommend is a griddle pan or BBQ plate to get that char on the bread as it adds so much flavour to the final product. If that’s not possible though, toasting it in a normal frying pan will work as well.
Once you mix together your spinach, rocket, walnuts, pear and prosciutto, you can set it aside in the fridge. This means it is perfect to make ahead if needed. I wouldn’t leave it longer than a day however because you will find the spinach and rocket will start to wilt.
Always serve with freshly toasted bread, and drizzle on the dressing after the salad has been plated. This allows you to control how much you use as you don’t want the dressing to over power the flavours of the salad.
The history of this salad comes from my brother. Back when he first started living with my husband and I we wanted to get more variety in the foods that we ate, so we often took turns cooking dinner for everyone. One day, he plated up this salad and I have been hooked ever since.
During the summer months, I will often eat this every week as its the perfect low effort meal that tastes delicious and still feels healthy. I mean it’s a salad right!
It has also become my go to for when guests come over and I need an impressive but easy salad for the table. If I am making it as a side though I will reduce the amount of prosciutto and serve it in a bowl rather than on the toasted bread. I might serve the bread separately on the table though, depending on how hungry I anticipate everyone to be.
This salad really is so good, and I know you will love the crunchy texture and the sweet and salty flavours.
If you do make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and rating below! And tag any of your creations on Instagram with #eightforestlane as I would love to see.
Pear and Prosciutto Salad
For the salad
- 120 grams of mixed baby spinach and rocket leaves
- 1 large green pear core removed and thinly sliced
- 50 grams chopped walnuts
- 200 grams thinly sliced prosciutto
- 4 thick slices of fresh bread
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Place the spinach and rocket leaves in a large bowl. Add in sliced pear and walnuts.
- Tear prosciutto into smaller pieces and add to the salad. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Heat a griddle pan or BBQ plate until hot and drizzle bread slices with olive oil. Add bread to the hot pan and toast until browned and char-lines being to form. Repeat on both sides being careful not to burn the bread.
- Place bread on a plate and a generous portion of the salad over the top.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a small jar and shake to mix before spooning dressing over salad to serve.
Original recipe was published January 18th 2017.
More salad recipes:
Save it for later: