Oh hello fancy.
Today’s recipe is impressive, it’s complex in it’s flavours and it is SO EASY! It is so easy that my husband said to me when I mentioned I was going to publish this that it wasn’t even really a recipe. So true. And I don’t care because you need this appetiser in your life.
So this delicious combo of flavours found its way into my life over the Christmas break. We were sitting around enjoying some holiday beverages with family friends when the nibbles started to come out…in the form of beautifully fresh scallops dressed up with caviar.
The original little power mouthfuls of flavour left such an impact that when an opportunity came to provide a plate of nibbles the following week with another group of friends, well, we went all out and served up a plate of these to many impressed looks and happy taste buds.
To make the scallops, you only need 4 ingredients and about 10 minutes prep time. So what exactly are we using to make these delightful nibbles?
- Scallops – a delicious, tender but sturdy base
- Smoked Salmon – adding sweet, salty, smokey flavours
- Avocado – for creaminess
- Caviar – saltiness, texture and ridiculous good looks
All of this can be purchased at the supermarket. When it comes to caviar, we don’t need anything super fancy. Black lungfish roe works just fine to add that additional texture and saltiness that makes these just that little bit fancier. Expect to pay about $6 for a small jar and find it in the same section as the smoked salmon.
Now, what happens if you don’t live on the coast with access to fresh scallops? Frozen works just fine, just defrost them in water and you are good to go. Also I understand that scallops are not the most affordable ingredient, but this appetiser isn’t designed to be for a Tuesday lunch. Save this one for a get together with close friends and family, preferably one that involves a glass or two of bubbly.
So make a reason to celebrate before summer ends and catch up with some close friends and indulge a little with this simple appetiser.
If you do make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and rating below! And tag any of your creations on Instagram with #eightforestlane as I would love to see.
Seared Scallops with Avocado, Smoked Salmon and Caviar
- 250 grams approx scallops*
- ½ an avocado
- 50 grams smoked salmon
- 1 tablespoon approx caviar+
- Heat a small amount of oil in a pan, or flat plate on your BBQ, until quite hot. Add scallops and let cook for 2 minutes until a golden crust has formed. Turn and cook on the other side for 1 minute. If your scallops are a bit bigger you may need to cook for a little longer until they are looking translucent. Remove from the heat and set aside on a plate.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado with a fork until smooth and add salt to taste.
- Assemble. Using the seared scallop as a base, add a small amount of the smoked salmon, followed by a bit of the avocado and topped with a sprinkle of caviar. Repeat with all scallops and serve immediately.
Save it for later: