This classic strawberry galette is the perfect way to enjoy summer or winter berries! This version has a simple, homemade dairy free crust and a quick and easy filling that means this delicious dessert is perfect for all occasions and skill levels!
I am obsessed with this strawberry galette. It’s so easy, smells absolutely incredible while baking and is so delicious you’ll want to eat it directly off the tray!
While a traditional galette would have a heavy butter based pastry, this version is made with alternative ingredients making it completely dairy free. You can also easily adapt it to be vegan if needed.
A galette is a free form pastry, similar to a pie except it’s baked straight on a baking tray with the edges folded over the top and the centre filling exposed. It’s got all the great taste of a pie without the effort!
Plus, a key characteristic of the galette is it’s rustic nature meaning it’s the kind of dessert where it’s perfectly acceptable to be imperfect!
Note all ingredients and their quantities are laid out in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
We only need 8 ingredients to make this strawberry galette from scratch making it a super easy but impressive dessert!
- Plain flour – also known as all purpose flour, this is used in the crust. You could also use wholemeal flour.
- White sugar – adds just a little sweetness to the pastry crust and is also added to the filling.
- Salt – adds flavour to the crust and prevents it from tasting bland.
- Dairy free butter – for best results you want a good quality butter alternative. I always use Nuttelex Buttery which is an Australian product but I believe the closest US alternative is Earth Balance.
- Egg – used to glaze the pastry crust so it turns golden and crunchy. For a vegan option you can brush the edges with aquafaba or plant based milk instead.
- Strawberries – I use fresh strawberries for this recipe as frozen can contain too much moisture. You can use any combination of berries you have and like instead.
- Lemon juice – added to the filling to cut the sweetness and add extra flavour.
- Corn flour – also known as corn starch, this is mixed with the strawberries to help thicken the filling.
This is such a simple recipe that doesn’t require much specialist equipment. You’ll need a food processer to make simple work of the pastry, a couple of mixing bowls, a chopping board and knife, a rolling pin, plus a large baking tray.
Start by preparing the crust using the food processor. Add the plain flour, sugar and salt along with the dairy free butter ensuring it is super cold, straight from the fridge. Pulse the mixture a few times until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Gradually add cold water to the mixture, a little at a time and pulse until the dough just holds it shape when pressed together.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gather it gently into a ball. Flatten it slightly to form a disk and then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill for a minimum of an hour, more if you have the time.
Once the dough has chilled and you’re ready to bake, make the filling. Slice up the strawberries and add into a large mixing bowl with the sugar, lemon juice and cornflour. Gently mix until the strawberries are coated.
Roll out your pastry dough into a large, 12 inch diameter circle – don’t worry about making it perfect, just get the size approximately correct.
Drain the moisture from the strawberry filling and gently arrange the strawberries into the centre of the crust leaving a gap around the edges. You can use a 9 inch cake pan to help guide you!
Fold the sides of the dough up and over the filling all the way around the edges, carefully, one section at a time before brushing the edges with a beaten egg and finishing with a sprinkle of course sugar.
Place the galette on your baking tray and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling. Slice into wedges and serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
While a little bit of liquid leaking from the galette is completely normal (you’ll notice mine did slightly) if it’s doing so a lot this is likely because your pastry is too warm or your filling has too much liquid.
Make sure you’re using your pastry straight from the fridge and work with it as quick as possible and drain any excess liquid from your filling mixture before adding it to the pastry.
Yes! This galette is easily adaptable based on what berries are in season and your personal preference. Try blueberries, raspberries or a combination!
More Strawberry Recipes:
For the crust:
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (125 grams) dairy free butter cold
- 2-3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- coarse sugar optional
For the filling:
- 500 grams fresh strawberries
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
- Start by preparing the pastry crust. To the bowl of a food processor, add the plain flour, white sugar, and salt. Add in the cold dairy-free butter and pulse a couple of times until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add 2-3 tablespoons of cold water to the mixture, one tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough just starts to come together. Ensure you only add just enough water for the dough to hold its shape when pressed together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gather it gently into a ball. Flatten it slightly to form a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Prepare the filling. Wash the strawberries and remove the green tops before slicing into medium-thin slices. Place the sliced strawberries in a mixing bowl.
- Add the white sugar, lemon juice, and cornflour to the sliced strawberries. Gently mix until the strawberries are evenly coated. Set aside while you roll out the crust.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F). On a lightly piece of baking paper the size of your try, roll out the chilled pastry dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Use a little flour on the paper and your rolling pin to prevent any sticking. Don’t worry about making it perfectly round, just get it as close as possible to the size.
- Arrange the strawberry filling in the centre of the pastry in a circle about 9 inches in diameter. Use a standard 9 inch round cake pan as a guide.
- Gently fold the edges of the pastry over the strawberries, one section at a time. The centre of the galette will remain open, revealing the strawberry filling.
- Brush the edges of the galette with the lightly beaten egg using a pastry brush and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Gently transfer the baking paper with the galette to your baking tray and place in the preheated oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the crust turns golden brown, and the strawberry filling is bubbly.
- Serve warm with your favourite dairy free vanilla ice cream!
Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and is calculated using automated online tools, therefore we cannot guarantee the accuracy. We encourage you to make your own calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe.