Puffy and golden vegan banana pancakes made gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free with just a few simple pantry substitutions. Whip up a batch of these pancakes on Sunday morning for the whole family to enjoy.
Pancakes are one of those fun Sunday morning breakfast or brunch traditions. You get the whole family together in the kitchen, chopping fruit and whisking batter all while trying to monitor the heat in the pan for that ultimate pancake sweet spot.
While I love my usual blueberry buttermilk pancakes, this recipe today tastes like banana bread in pancake form and let me tell you that there is something very special about that.
If you are a regular reader of my blog then you will know that the recipes I share are always dairy-free and often contain vegan options.
When developing a pancake batter recipe without eggs, I decided to take the recipe one step further by using gluten-free flour as well so more people can enjoy these delicious pancakes and the result is so good, they stack up (pun intended) to their full gluten counterparts.
To make these vegan and gluten-free banana pancakes you’ll need a few ingredients but most should be in your pantry already. The combination of these ingredients is what makes these pancakes work well without gluten or eggs, so for that reason I don’t really recommend making too many substitutions or your results will vary.
- Dairy free milk – you can use oat milk, soy milk or almond milk. Any will work well in this recipe.
- White vinegar – to be combined with the dairy free milk to create a vegan buttermilk substitution which is going to ensure our pancakes are light and fluffy.
- Gluten free plain flour – use your favourite 1-1 flour blend.
- Baking powder – to help keep our pancakes think and fluffy.
- Bicarbonate of soda – reacting with the vinegar, this is going to keep our pancakes light and tender.
- Ground cinnamon – the natural combination with banana. Increase the quantity if you want a stronger spiced flavour.
- Banana – mashed banana provides flavour as well as acting as a sweetener and binder in place of an egg.
- Pure maple syrup – a little used in the batter to sweeten, but mostly this will be poured generously over the top. Make sure to sure the real stuff not imitation for the best taste.
- Coconut oil – melted and cooled. You could also use melted vegan butter instead.
- Vanilla – for extra flavour.
To make these pancakes, you’ll need a large non-stick frying pan, a mixing bowl and whisk.
Start by making your homemade dairy-free buttermilk by combining the vinegar with the oat milk in a small bowl. I love oat milk as it has a really creamy consistency but soy or almond would work here fine as well.
Mix your dry ingredients in one bowl, and then your banana, coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup and ‘buttermilk’ in another. Mix the dry into the wet and whisk together. The batter will be thick and will start to puff up. Let the batter rest for about 10 minutes to settle.
In a non-stick pan with a little oil, cook about ⅓ of batter per pancake, flipping them when bubbles start to form on the top. Keep an eye on the the heat and flip when ready. Continue until all the batter is used and you have a stack of banana cinnamon pancake deliciousness.
This recipe also happens to be refined sugar-free as we removed the usual little bit of sugar in the pancakes and replaced it with maple syrup. So that is a sneaky win if you are looking to cut down on sugar but are OK with maple syrup. And let’s face it, it’s not really pancakes without maple syrup!
These vegan and gluten-free banana pancakes taste EXACTLY like banana bread in pancake form and are so delicious you are going to love making them for your family on a lazy Sunday morning, chill tunes on the stereo, pot of coffee brewing in the background.
More Banana Recipes:
The BEST Vegan Banana Bread
Vegan Banana Walnut Muffins
Banana Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies
Vegan Banana Cake with Cinnamon Buttercream
Vegan Banana Pancakes (Gluten Free)
- ¾ cup dairy free milk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup gluten free plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- extra banana slices to serve
- pure maple syrup to serve
- In a small bowl, mix the vinegar with the dairy free milk and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon and whisk to combine.
- In another bowl, mash the banana and mix in the maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla and milk mixture. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk until a thick batter forms. Set aside and rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat a non stick frying pan and lightly spray with oil. Add ⅓ cup of batter per pancake to the pan. Once bubbles start to form on the surface, flip pancake and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter, wiping out excess oil with a paper towel between batches.
- Serve pancakes with slices of fresh banana and a very generous drizzle of maple syrup.
Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and is calculated using automated online tools, therefore we cannot guarantee the accuracy. We encourage you to make your own calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe.
These look so fluffy and light, they would make a perfect weekend brunch for everyone! Yum!
I absolutely adore banana pancakes so I must try this recipe asap! Love that they are vegan and gluten free too so that everyone can enjoy them!