In need of a last minute Christmas dessert that doesn’t require you to spend hours in the kitchen? I’ve got you covered with these festive chocolate peppermint brownies. The classic Christmas combination of chocolate and peppermint coming together in a simple dessert that is complete in 30 minutes.
Yes that’s right, another brownie recipe. But I really don’t think it is possible to have too many right?
I love these brownies because they are super quick to make but taste incredible. They are based on my all-time favourite dark chocolate brownie recipe, with a little peppermint extract added for that special Christmas twist. Topped of course with crushed candy canes for that little bit of crunch.
There are a few things that make this recipe one of my favourites:
- Dairy and gluten free in a way that no-one who doesn’t mind will notice, but those who do will be thankful they too can enjoy them.
- QUICK. Brownie recipes often take 40 mins or so to bake, but with this recipe we have delicious, perfect brownies in 15 mins.
- Perfect for taking to work morning teas or Sunday BBQs as they are easy to transport and insanely popular.
I also secretly love buying candy canes every year and these brownies give me a chance to use them in a new way rather than just eating the pure sticks of sugar on their own. Still good, and an essential part of Christmas if you ask me.
Whatever you’re making this Christmas, I hope you have time to relax and enjoy yourself whatever the day may mean to you and your friends and family.
If you do make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and rating below! And tag any of your creations on Instagram with #eightforestlane as I would love to see.
Chocolate Peppermint Brownies (Gluten-Free)
- ½ cup dairy-free butter melted*
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 eggs room temperature
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup plain gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips**
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- candy canes
- Preheat oven to 190°C and line a 20cm square baking pan with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, add eggs, vanilla and peppermint extract and lightly whisk. Whisk in dark brown sugar and melted butter until all combined.
- Sift cocoa powder and flour into a seperate bowl and then combine gradually with wet ingredients. Using a spatula to scrape down the sides, mix until combined and batter is nice and thick. Fold through dairy-free chocolate chips and spoon mixture into baking pan ensuring it is spread evenly.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes. The brownies are done when top is still soft but firm. Let cool on a wire rack completely.
- Make the glaze by mixing the icing sugar, water and peppermint extract. Add a little more icing sugar if it is too thin. Drizzle glaze over the top of cooled brownies and top with crushed candy canes. Cut into squares to serve.