These rich chocolate peppermint brownies are so simple and can be made in just 30 minutes. They contain chunks of rich, dark chocolate and peppermint extract for maximum flavour, all topped off with crushed candy canes. Made both gluten free and dairy free, this will be your go-to dessert this holiday season.
I love these brownies because they are super quick to make but taste incredible. They are my go to when I need to bring an easy dessert to a party or for something easy after dinner when the chocolate craving hits.
This recipe is based on my all-time favourite dark chocolate brownie recipe, with a little peppermint extract added and topped of course with crushed candy canes for that festive twist.
Peppermint and chocolate have always been the best of friends and there is no better way to celebrate that combination than through these brownies. Plus it’s a great way to use those candy canes that always are lurking around at this time of year.
There are a few other reasons I love this recipe and keep coming back to it;
- Allergy friendly. These brownies are both dairy and gluten free in a way that no-one who doesn’t mind will notice, but those who do will be thankful they too can enjoy them.
- QUICK. Brownie recipes often take 40 mins or so to bake, but with this recipe we have delicious, perfect brownies in 15 mins.
- Small batch. This recipe makes 16 small brownies, or 9 large ones as you probably don’t need tonnes of extra leftovers at this time of year.
- Delicious! Perfect for taking to holiday themed work morning teas or Sunday BBQs as they are easy to transport and insanely popular.
Ingredients for peppermint brownies
These brownies use just a few basic ingredients so you can make them anytime.
- Dairy-free butter – keeps the brownie rich and soft while being dairy-free
- Dark brown sugar – adds richness to the brownie and helps give a dense chewy texture
- Vanilla & peppermint extract – for flavour
- Eggs – help ensure the brownie is stable and the perfect texture
- Cocoa powder – for even more rich chocolate flavour
- Gluten-free flour – brownies are one of those foods that are actually better made gluten free but you can use regular plain flour if you don’t need them to be gluten free
- Chocolate – you can use either dairy-free chocolate chips or chopped up chunks of your favourite dark chocolate. I find the chopped chocolate much better as it will melt into gooey little pools within the brownie
You’ll also need some icing sugar for the peppermint glaze and some candy canes for that final crunch on top.
How to make chocolate peppermint brownies
These brownies are so simple and quick to make with no electric mixers required. All you need is a 20cm square baking pan, a bowl and a whisk.
Start by whisking together the eggs and both the vanilla and peppermint extracts. Add in the brown sugar and continue to whisk until combined.
Sift together the cocoa powder and gluten free flour and then add to the wet ingredients. It’s easier to combine if you do it in small batches.
Once the batter is nice and smooth, add in the chopped chocolate and mix through. Pour the batter into the pan that’s been greased and lined with baking paper and bake in a preheated oven for 15minutes or until just set in the centre.
Once the brownie is cooked, set aside to cool on a wire rack.
To finish, mix together the icing sugar, peppermint extract and a little bit of water. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled brownie and then top with crushed candy canes.
These easy peppermint brownies make the best festive addition to your Christmas baking.
But whatever you’re making this Christmas, I hope you have time to relax and enjoy yourself whatever the day may mean to you and your friends and family.
More Easy Christmas Baking Recipes:
Christmas Wreath Doughnuts
Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
Poinsettia Christmas Cupcakes
Vegan Cinnamon Sugar Cookies
Chocolate Peppermint Brownies (Gluten-Free)
- ½ cup dairy-free butter melted*
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 eggs room temperature
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup plain gluten-free flour
- ¼ cup dairy-free chocolate chips**
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2-4 candy canes
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a 20cm square baking pan with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, add eggs, vanilla and peppermint extract and lightly whisk. Whisk in dark brown sugar and melted butter until all combined.
- Sift cocoa powder and flour into a separate bowl and then combine gradually with wet ingredients. Using a spatula to scrape down the sides, mix until combined and batter is nice and thick. Fold through dairy-free chocolate chips and spoon mixture into baking pan ensuring it is spread evenly.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes. The brownies are done when top is still soft but firm. Let cool on a wire rack completely.
- Make the glaze by mixing the icing sugar, water and peppermint extract. Add a little more icing sugar if it is too thin. Drizzle glaze over the top of cooled brownies and top with crushed candy canes. Cut into squares to serve.
Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and is calculated using automated online tools, therefore we cannot guarantee the accuracy. We encourage you to make your own calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe.
Made this recipe? Leave a review!