This easy peanut sauce is the perfect accompaniment to a range of different dishes and is packed full of flavour. With a delicious balance of creamy peanut butter, salty soy sauce, tangy lime and a hint of chilli, this sauce is going to be your go-to whether for dunking or drizzling.
I LOVE peanut satay sauce. It really makes food more exciting and delicious thanks to all the bold flavours that come together. This version is rich and creamy and is inspired by the flavours from my favourite Thai restaurant but is in no way claiming to be authentic.
This sauce is derived from countless attempts to make a peanut satay sauce at home that had the perfect balance of flavours and I am so happy with the results, this is now the only peanut sauce that I make.
However you serve this sauce, it’s a staple recipe that once you have in your repertoire is going to make dinner time a whole lot more delicious.
You’ll need just 7 ingredients to make this sauce, most of which you should be able to find in your pantry.
- Peanut butter – I use smooth regular peanut butter for this recipe. I’ve used crunchy as well and the result is as you’d expect, not as smooth. I haven’t used natural peanut butter however so can’t guarantee the same texture/results.
- Soy sauce – the salty balance to the sauce. For gluten-free use a gluten free soy sauce or tamari.
- Honey – for sweetness plus I love the flavour honey gives this sauce. For a vegan-option you can replace it with brown sugar.
- Sesame oil – do not skip this!
- Garlic – You can adjust the amount to taste, but I find 1 clove the perfect amount for the sauce to have that garlic flavour without being overpowering.
- Sriracha – or any chilli sauce will work. If you don’t like any spice you can leave it out, alternatively if you love things spicier – increase the amount!
- Lime – this is the only ingredient that I may not usually have on hand but it’s the absolute key to balancing out the flavour of this sauce. Again, adjust the quantity to taste.
There really isn’t much to this recipe – it’s one of the easiest sauces to make and comes together so quickly.
You’ll need a blender or food processor for the best results. As this is a smaller quantity I love using my bullet blender as it’s just so easy.
If you don’t have one though, you can crush the garlic first and then add everything to a jar and shake shake shake. Your consistency will be a bit less creamy than can be achieved with a blender but it should still do the job!
To make the sauce, all you have to do is measure out the ingredients into the blender and then mix everything together until really creamy.
From here, you can add a little water to the sauce to thin it out to add to your favourite noodle dishes or drizzle over rice bowls or simply use it as a dipping sauce.
Please share any creations on Instagram using the tag #eightforestlane as we would love to see what you’re making!
More sauce recipes:
Easy Peanut Sauce
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 1-2 tablespoons sriracha
- juice of 1 lime
- Put all ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until really creamy.
- As is, this sauce is the perfect consistency for dunking but just add a little water if you want the sauce a little thinner for drizzling or tossing through noodles.